library search path
Where do we store libraries these days?

according to /boot/system/apps/yab-IDE/Programs/libs/readme it should be ~/config/settings/yab. Which sounds right to me.

But in the IDE Help, under "import" it says /boot/home/config/lib/yab which means trying to create a folder in a write-protected parent folder. Perhaps the documentation is a little outdated ?
(03-26-2016, 09:57 AM)clasqm Wrote: Where do we store libraries these days?

according to /boot/system/apps/yab-IDE/Programs/libs/readme it should be ~/config/settings/yab. Which sounds right to me.

But in the IDE Help, under "import" it says /boot/home/config/lib/yab which means trying to create a folder in a write-protected parent folder. Perhaps the documentation is a little outdated ?

The import directory should be~/config/settings/yab. the IDE help documentation will need to be updated. Thanks for the report.
In the same vein, in the IDE help for peek() it says:

Code:
peek("screenheight")
Return the height in characters of the window, wherein yab runs. If you have not called clear screen yet, this peekwill return 0, regardless of the size of your terminal.

peek("screenwidth")
Return the width in characters of the window, wherein yab runs. If you have not called clear screen yet, this peekwill return 0, regardless of the size of your terminal.

Actually, it doesn't. Those peeks work just fine without the CLEAR SCREEN.

In fact, when I try to run CLEAR SCREEN I get the following error:

Code:
---Error in standard input, line 1: ncurses support was not compiled

(using yab-1.7.5.2-1-x86_gcc2.hpkg)

I can see we've quietly gotten rid of yabasic's old "graphics screen" routines (good thing too), but this one seems to have stuck around. Easy enough to simulate with system("clear"). Perhaps just remove CLEAR SCREEN (and SCREEN) from the IDE help contents? However, that will also affect INKEY$, COLOR, PUTSCREEN and some others that require CLEAR SCREEN to some extent.

Perhaps it's time to decide what yab is for and how badly we need it to maintain yabasic compatibility. Is anyone actually using things like PRINT AT, PRINT REVERSE and so on, or is yab's niche that of the language to write GUI apps with?

EDIT: Oh boy, once I start finding obsolete references in the documentation, I don't know when to stop:

Code:
peek$("os")
This peek returns the name of the operating system, where your yab version was compiled on. This can be either "BeOS" or "ZETA". On BeOS R5 it will always be "BeOS" while on ZETA it can be both. To check whether the system is really running ZETA do: RealOS$ = upper$(system$("uname -o"))
The ncurses support can be compiled into yab. I think we should leve this option for those who have a need to use these old-style screenmode commands. These command documentation should have a note that a special version of yab must be compiled with ncurses support in order for them to work.