Updates
Hi,

I have been missing from the community for about a year or so. Now I come back and I see that Haikuware is gone.
Could someone please fill me in on the latest yab developements?
But first, what happened to Haikuware?
Also, I have noticed that now yab is being maintained by bbjimmy. Has jan_64 abandoned the project?
Thanks

HaikuForever
(07-06-2015, 10:41 PM)HaikuForever Wrote: Hi,

I have been missing from the community for about a year or so. Now I come back and I see that Haikuware is gone.
Could someone please fill me in on the latest yab developements?
But first, what happened to Haikuware?
Also, I have noticed that now yab is being maintained by bbjimmy. Has jan_64 abandoned the project?
Thanks

HaikuForever

It seems that Karl doesn't like the PM changes to haiku and closed haikuware and BeBits in protest.

Jan__64 is still around and has helped with yab recently, but I have been doing most of the recent work to port yab to haiku PM and get it into HailuDepot and haikuports. Yab is open source and the source code is at https://github.com/bbjimmy/yab.

There have been many improvements to yab:

Textcontrol can now limit the length and kind of entry.

Textedit can center and right justify text.

Attributes are supported in yab.

read/write filemode added.

Most commands are well documented in the IDE.

BuildFactory can set the Application Signature.

yab IDE find/replace has been fixed.

yab is now linked to libyab.so, making the binaries smaller, but requiring yab >= 1.7.5 to be installed or the dev to include libyab.so in a lib folder.

Many changes, but yab should still run older scripts without changes.
Thanks so much for the explanation, Jimmy.

A couple of points:

1) In my understanding there are almost no actual users of yab today, except for you, clasqm and a handful of other people. We need to get a user community started. For that we need tutorials and learning materials, in addition to the ones already vailable at Besly, which is not so much. Is anyone planning to work on this? Developing the language is not enough. We have to attract users. Something like a tutorial would be ideal. Possibly, also a detailed commenting of an existing mid-sized program would be very much useful.

2) IIRC you once said that you were working on an OOP addition to yab. Anything at the horizon yet? More generally, what new features can we expect from the next versions of yab. What are the priorities?

Thanks
I did a bit of evangelising yab on my blog last year: http://clasquin-johnson.co.za/michel/hai...iting.html
(07-07-2015, 06:24 AM)HaikuForever Wrote: 2) IIRC you once said that you were working on an OOP addition to yab. Anything at the horizon yet? More generally, what new features can we expect from the next versions of yab. What are the priorities?

Thanks

You were probably thinking of this:

using objects in yab

What we need is a place for people to show and share their work.

Fat Elk repo is an attempt to fill this need.
(07-07-2015, 08:44 AM)bbjimmy Wrote: What we need is a place for people to show and share their work.

Fat Elk repo is an attempt to fill this need.

Absolutely. BTW, coudn't this forum be hosted on Haiku's main website, as a sub-forum?
That would have given much more visibility to the forum.
(07-07-2015, 08:44 AM)bbjimmy Wrote: You were probably thinking of this:
using objects in yab

The beauty of yab IMO is the way it takes an OO environment and makes it available in a completely procedural language. As Jim points out in that link, you are using objects in every GUI program written in yab. Create a TEXTEDIT widget. It gets cut and paste facilities (via right-click) thrown in without you having to do anything. That is OO all over. But you don't have to think of it in that way.

yab is classical in nature. You have an interpreter and a text editor and that's all you need to start writing programs. That's not to put down all the work that's been done on the IDE, but I've tried some of the BASICs available on other platforms and without an IDE, you can't even get started. I like the fact that libraries can be used in yab, but that they are optional. Everything is self-contained in that one binary that is the yab interpreter.

I don't want to see classes, polymorphism, inheritance, overloading and huge collections of external libraries in yab. If I could bend my mind around those, I would have learned C++ by now. There may well be a market for a more explicitly OO kind of BASIC on Haiku, and good luck to anyone who wants to create this. But it wouldn't be yab. Maybe call it yab++ and leave yab for those of us who love it just as it is.
(07-07-2015, 07:37 AM)clasqm Wrote: I did a bit of evangelising yab on my blog last year: http://clasquin-johnson.co.za/michel/hai...iting.html

Your website is not accessible, at least to me. I have been trying over the last few days. Could you please check that it is alright?
The url works here.
(07-08-2015, 12:53 PM)bbjimmy Wrote: The url works here.

I have checked for the umpteenth time with my plain vanilla internet connection, and the link doesn't work -- no page is loaded.
But then I used a web proxy, and the page loads alright. That's odd.
Could it be that my ISP is blocking that domain? But why?!?