The Nightly Watch (with apologies to Rembrandt)
Every week or two I download a new nightly image and see if it will boot. I load the desktop rather than the installer, then test networking, sound and run a few of the included apps to see how this hrev holds up. If it looks stable I boot to the hard disk, take a deep breath and update my haiku installations using Jim's update script.

I will be reporting my progress here. Please feel free to join in. Keep 2 things in mind:

1. This is not for the Haiku devs' benefit. It is to inform fellow users which nighlies are stable enough to install. This does not absolve you from filing tickets.

2. My chosen test medium is an ISO burned to CDR. If you are getting a different result (or the same one) burning .anyboot to a USB thumb drive, or running a raw image in a virtual PC, please specify that.

Disclaimer: Neither I nor any other participant takes responsibility for what any hrev can do to your system. Systems configurations vary considerably yada yada yada. We are just reporting what we can see happening on our systems.

hrev49514: Some minor selection issues in tracker. Networking OK for www, ftp not working. Sound OK. Seems stable.

hrev49548: boots to a blue screen with a cursor. No Tracker or Deskbar. Axel's new launchdaemon needs more work. Avoid.

EDIT openjdk is broken in hrev49514. see https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/49333
(08-17-2015, 01:04 PM)clasqm Wrote: Every week or two I download a new nightly image and see if it will boot. I load the desktop rather than the installer, then test networking, sound and run a few of the included apps to see how this hrev holds up. If it looks stable I boot to the hard disk, take a deep breath and update my haiku installations using Jim's update script.

I will be reporting my progress here. Please feel free to join in. Keep 2 things in mind:

1. This is not for the Haiku devs' benefit. It is to inform fellow users which nighlies are stable enough to install. This does not absolve you from filing tickets.

2. My chosen test medium is an ISO burned to CDR. If you are getting a different result (or the same one) burning .anyboot to a USB thumb drive, or running a raw image in a virtual PC, please specify that.

Disclaimer: Neither I nor any other participant takes responsibility for what any hrev can do to your system. Systems configurations vary considerably yada yada yada. We are just reporting what we can see happening on our systems.

hrev49514: Some minor selection issues in tracker. Networking OK for www, ftp not working. Sound OK. Seems stable.

hrev49548: boots to a blue screen with a cursor. No Tracker or Deskbar. Axel's new launchdaemon needs more work. Avoid.

why you does not make this work in the official haiku forum? i think this makes more sense. threre are more people who have interest on this. here is a yab forum and no haiku dev looks herr.

but a good idea :-)
(08-18-2015, 11:31 AM)lelldorin Wrote: why you does not make this work in the official haiku forum? i think this makes more sense. threre are more people who have interest on this. here is a yab forum and no haiku dev looks herr.

1. On the Haiku website there are some very thin-skinned people who will shut you down if you say anything even mildly negative. Here we can be free.

2. I'm hoping people will find this thread, look around the forum and give yab a try!
(08-18-2015, 01:39 PM)clasqm Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 11:31 AM)lelldorin Wrote: why you does not make this work in the official haiku forum? i think this makes more sense. threre are more people who have interest on this. here is a yab forum and no haiku dev looks herr.

1. On the Haiku website there are some very thin-skinned people who will shut you down if you say anything even mildly negative. Here we can be free.

2. I'm hoping people will find this thread, look around the forum and give yab a try!

i does not think that discutions like this, from a community member who do something for haiku and the communiy, get any problems with this people.

that people who only can take and asking for are the problem.

give it a try and let a yab forum be a forum for yab. we does not need people who went from the official forum, we need communiy thinking and working.

and if anyone delete it or censore it make it public
(08-19-2015, 06:17 AM)lelldorin Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 01:39 PM)clasqm Wrote:

i does not think that discutions like this, from a community member who do something for haiku and the communiy, get any problems with this people.

that people who only can take and asking for are the problem.

give it a try and let a yab forum be a forum for yab. we does not need people who went from the official forum, we need communiy thinking and working.

and if any one delete it or censore it make it public
This is the off-topic section, anything that is not ofensive is OK. Sometimes people like to talk on less active forums to avoid the trolls amd naysayers.
Quote:This is the off-topic section, anything that is not ofensive is OK. Sometimes people like to talk on less active forums to avoid the trolls amd naysayers.

you are right but this forum is for a really smal group of users. a project like this is a must be in a haiku forum to get aswers if the inportant peopke behind haiku and not of users alone.
hrev 49562: boots, seems stable.

UPDATE: openjdk (java) is still broken
hrev 49606 - did not boot
(09-01-2015, 04:08 PM)clasqm Wrote: hrev 49606 - did not boot

...hmmm i think this is a little bit smal testing.

- info of used hardware
- x86, ppc...
- direct installation, usb, cd, virtual box...
- how does you test?

i think if you do that make it more informative, so people can work with this information.

and reports from the debugger need to add into the haiku tracker

i plan to do something like this too, but as post in my blog.... but i does not have the time to do it... too many open and not ended projects
I described that in the first post in this thread